3 Fool-Proof Exercises For Sexy, Toned Arms
By Hilary Sheinbaum
Biceps curls are great and all, but don’t forget: there’s more than one muscle in each arm — and multiple ways to make them stronger. If your goal is to get toned, you’re going to need to exercise a few areas of each limb (and not just once. Read: repetition, repetition, repetition).
Lifting dumbbells, using equipment or utilizing weights small and large, can do wonders, it’s important to remember that sometimes just using your body weight can make a huge difference, too (no fancy gyms needed).
Whether you’re new to exercise or you’re a longtime pro, read on for 3 exercises fitness experts swear by to achieve sexy arms.
Standing Single Tricep Exercise
Focusing on your triceps, lats, deltoid and core, Lia Bartha, Creator and Founder of B the method, suggests using 1lb hand or wrist weights.
- Get into a forward lunge position, right foot in front and hinge slightly forward. Make sure your spine is in neutral, not tucking the pelvis and not arching the back.
- Take the right hand behind your back and the left hand holds the weight. Swoop the arm with the weight slightly behind your body with the palm facing up.
- Bend the elbow and push back with the arm, keeping the elbow in the same spot the entire time. Repeat 5-10x.
- Then turn the palm facing in towards your body. Bend the elbow and push back with the arm. Repeat 5-10x.
- Then, circle the arm 5-10x in each direction.
- Repeat on the other side.
Standing Straight Arm Pulldowns
Erica Ziel, Deep Core Exercise Specialist says, “You can do these at home with an exercise band — placed at the top of a door — or in a gym with a cable machine. These are great for strengthening your core, midback, rear deltoids, triceps, and lats.”
- Standing tall arms length away from the door, grab the band with straight arms and lightly engage your core (zipping up your belly through the top of your head) and midback as you open up across your chest.
- Exhale as you pull the band downwards, only going as far as you can keeping your spine tall and avoiding rounding your shoulders forward.
- Inhale as you control the return of the band to start, avoid releasing your underarm and midback connection.
- Repeat for 10-20 reps.
Over / Unders
To ignite your biceps, Julie Sanchez, a MIRROR Trainer + lululemon Ambassador, advises using a light set of dumbells.
- Place light weights in the palm of the hands.
- Reach arms out to shoulder width and shoulder height.
- Flip palms over and under keeping the weights lifted.
- Repeat for 3 reps, with 30 seconds for each rep.
- Bonus: “You can change the tempo and have fun with it, try big motions slower, or tighter and quicker movements,” says Julie.
With these three exercises, you’ll be toned in no time!