DIY “I Heart You” Valentine Tree
Would it be a festive occasion without a little DIY project? AB-solutely not! This year, I decided to make something that I can bring out season after season.
This “I Heart You” tree is a perfect centerpiece for any Valentine’s Day celebration. It’s extremely simple, too! I also doubled it as a candy jar, which Brooksie can’t keep his hands out of. Yeah, I made that one easy for him!
Here’s a step-by-step guide to make your very own Valentine’s tree that can be used year after year:
- White Spray Paint
- Gold Glitter Spray Paint
- Multiple colors of Card Stock weight paper in various shades of pink and red
- Small paper punch
- Bone folder (optional, can use dull butter knife)
- Ruler (I like metal with cork backing)
- Glue Stick or Rubber Cement
- Cute light weight cording (I used red & white and pink & white)
- Mason Jar
- River Rocks
- Hershey Valentine Kisses
- Tree Branch
- Find a medium size branch that has a nice shape. Trim off any unnecessary branches, leaves, and/or debris.
- Lay out a sheet of Kraft paper to protect your surface, preferably outside or somewhere well-ventilated & cover the branch with white spray paint. It will take several coats and from different angles to insure full coverage. Set aside to dry.
- Cut out LOTS of hearts out of the card stock, I used two sizes, you could do more or could only use one size but the variety adds interest.
- Using a bone folder or dull butter knife score a folding line at the center of each heart and fold into a 90-degree angle.
- Glue like sized hearts one-half to one-half at the 90-degree angle with glues stick or Rubber Cement, hold to secure and continue with either 4 hearts or 5 total. Continue until you have the desired number of hearts.
- Once hearts have dried, carefully punch a hole in each and thread with cording and tie off.
- Give a quick spray with glitter spray (optional).
- Secure your painted branch in the Mason jar with the river rocks and fill the rest of the jar with Hershey Kisses (any Valentine’s candy will do but I like the pink, red, and silver foil of the kisses!)
- Adorn the branches with your hearts and there you go!