I want to prepare a Father’s Day feast this weekend for my amazing hubby. So I knew this would be the perfect time to call on Gavan Murphy for his second BBQ segment of the summer for MollySims.com.
In case you missed his delicious post dedicated to barbecuing veggies, you should check it out here. Gavan has never let me down in the food department. He makes excellent eats that are centered on being healthy.
My parents were visiting when we shot this segment. Let’s just say everybody had a fantastic lunch (no leftovers!!) Team Sims rejoices when Gavan is in the house! Below are two beyond good (ask my parents) recipes that your entire family will surely enjoy. As always, Gavan was good enough to share his best tips on both recipes with the readers of MollySims.com.
Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Assortment of chicken pieces (breasts, drumsticks, thighs)
- Ground black pepper – (I made 6 breasts, 2 tbsp pepper so adjust accordingly)
- 2 lemons – zested
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl toss the chicken in the pepper mixture to coat.
- Sear the chicken on high heat on all sides to brown and remove to BBQ rack if you have one. If your grill doesn’t have a shelf reduce heat to medium low and close grill lid to create oven.
- To check doneness cut into largest piece of chicken. When cooked remove and rest for 4-5 minutes to retain juices in meat.
The breasts will cook faster than the dark meat, so be mindful to remove them first. Now be sure to check Gavan’s video before the chicken crosses the road.
Flank Steak Salad
- 1 grass fed flank steak (1 – 1 ½ lbs)
- 1 yellow pepper – halved, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper – halved, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado – sliced
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley – chopped
- ½ cup oregano – chopped
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- ½ lemon juiced red wine vinegar to taste
- pinch S&P
Add all Chimichurri ingredients in a large bowl and mix. Season with S&P to taste.
Once the sauce is made add a little into a bowl and coat the flank steak on both sides before grilling. Directions: Season the flank with S&P on both sides and sear on hot grill pan or BBQ for 5 minutes each side. Let rest for 5 minutes to let the juices redistribute back into the meat before slicing. To assemble, lay the greens, peppers and avocado slices on a large platter and lay the sliced steak randomly around. Drizzle the Chimichurri over to coat salad.
But wait, we are not done with the tips just yet! Gavan gives us the scoop on slicing your steak perfectly. Enjoy!
Actress, model, active humanitarian, & Mom! Author of 'Everyday Chic'.