I don’t know when red wine got a bad rap in the summer but it’s about time it’s found its way in the spotlight. As a rosé and Prosecco girl myself, I’ve grown to appreciate a red, fruity wine when the heat hits. For summertime cocktails and drinks, light and refreshing are key components. It’s also a MUST that they pair with BBQ and other summertime foods.
It comes down to one thing: the more oaky the wine, the less refreshing and light on the palate. It’s all about keeping it fruity! If you do want to chill your red wine, don’t go for ice cold. 45 minutes in the fridge should do!
Here are my top 10 picks for ultimate red wine refreshment from different regions and price ranges:
Here’s a healthy sangria recipe to go with your new red wine picks!
Sparking Summer Sangria
- 1.5 bottles red wine
- 1/4 cup triple sec
- 2 cups sparkling lemon/lime/orange-flavored water with no added sugar
- 1 pear diced
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, blackberries, blueberries diced
- 2 oranges diced or sliced (not peeled)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Combine everything (except the sparkling water) in a large pitcher, and store in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Add the sparkling water to the pitcher, stir, and serve!
Actress, model, active humanitarian, & Mom! Author of 'Everyday Chic'.