Summer Berry Snowcones With Chef Brooksie
Summertime is in full swing and it’s been a hot one in the Hamptons! Between all the days by the pool, sometimes coming inside to cool off is a must. Like I’ve said before, Brooksie loves helping out while I’m in the kitchen. It’s actually one of his favorite activities. How lucky am I? I’m convinced I have the cutest kitchen help ever!
In our household, we can never get enough of frozen treats. We’ve been whipping up our own healthy popsicles ALL summer. It’s the perfect way to cool down and it’s so, so, so refreshing! Call me crazy, but this #supermomma decided to get Brooksie a snow cone machine for the summer. Okay, I’m not going to lie, I definitely wanted one too! I ended up purchasing the Waring Pro Ice Shaver. It’s reasonably priced, super easy to handle (especially for children) and my Brooksie takes so much joy in making them. He’s actually so obsessed that he offers to make them for every guest that walks in the front door.
Let’s get one thing straight, though. These aren’t the snow cones of our childhood past! Normally, any shaved ice you’ll get at a fair, etc is LOADED with sugar due to the high content in the syrup. I definitely wanted to keep these treats healthy so I decided to do some major “snow cone research.”
And per usual, there is always a healthier option. I found a great organic syrup brand that is LOW in sugar and HIGH in yummy flavor. Ambling Ambystoma Farm, out of Santa Cruz County, California, makes the most delicious and healthy syrups for sweet treats that I’ve found so far. I feel like they’re kind of a hidden gemstone! All of the syrups are made with certified organic fruit (berries, apples, lemons) with no added water, artificial preservatives, or additives. Many other brands use things like high fructose corn syrup but these organic flavors contain only certified cane sugar for sweetness. Another great (and healthier) brand of syrup is Monin.
If you want to go an even healthier route (or need a last minute option), look no further than just some simple fruit and everyday pantry items.
Fresh Summer Berry Snow Cones:
- 2 ½ cups blueberries
- 3 cups strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 8 cups shaved ice (approximately)
- Coarsely mash 2 ½ cups of blueberries and 3 cups strawberries with sugar and water into a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour berry mixture through a colander and discard solids.
- Chill syrup for around an hour, loosely wrapped with plastic wrap, until cold.
- Once cold, pour your homemade syrup over lightly packed shaved ice. 3 tablespoons of syrup is enough.
- Top with fresh fruit or cacao nibs for an added treat! For a more adult friendly snowcone, add a shot of rum for a fun take on a summer cocktail!