An aubergine top in my closet.
Nothing gets me more excited than talking fall fashion and this season might go down in history as one of my favorites ever (although I’m pretty sure I say that every year)! There are so many swoon-worthy trends out there right now and I can hardly wait to try each of them. From the return of ladylike suiting—think florals, tweeds and lace to the edgier military inspired sportswear—think structured silhouettes, utilitarian embellishments and neutral colors, this fall’s fashions are far-reaching. Despite wanting absolutely everything, I’ve managed to narrow down my list of fall style must-haves to only TEN things…
1. Aubergine is the new black this season. Wear it like a neutral with other colors or head-to-toe à la Elizabeth and James.
2. Leather leggings are an absolute staple during fall—I practically live in mine by Helmut Lang. They are super comfy and look great under a loose top or dress topped with a boyfriend-style blazer.
3. Abstract florals made an appearance on many Fall 2012 runways, including Cacharel’s that gave a nod to the 70s with their psychedelic floral numbers. I can’t get enough of this modern interpretation of retro flower power!
4. I adore Celine bags. Period. They are minimal without being boring and totally classic. Definitely a splurge, but one I can stomach without buyer’s remorse because I know I’ll wear it forever (and ever)!
5. Lady-suits are back in a big way this fall and while I doubt I’ll be seen sporting a head-to-toe ensemble a la Oscar de la Renta’s; I love the idea of breaking down its elements to wear with my wardrobe. Tweeds, bouclé, feminine florals and delicate lace will all find their way into my closet to achieve this chic look.
6. This fall studded shoes are everywhere and I absolutely love Isabel Marant’s pumps. Sophisticated with just enough tough-girl appeal!
7. I can’t get enough of the military inspired looks that are popping up for fall. With this trend, it’s all in the details: lapels, zippers and standout hardware are musts.
8. Channel your inner globetrotter because another trend this fall draws on cultures from far-away places. Embrace the opulence of the old-world like Dolce and Gabbana by donning duds with lots of embroidery, embellishment and rich color combinations—think deep purples, amber, forest green and black.
9. Black and white is a classic, but this fall it’s also one of the biggest trends around as Derek Lam proves.
10. The peplum is here to stay and for fall it’s taking on a lot of different forms; from incredibly structured and dressy to the totally laidback and casual look from 3.1 Phillip Lim that I just love!
What are your fall fashion essentials? Will you be giving any of mine a try? Let me know in the comments below.
Actress, model, active humanitarian, & Mom! Author of 'Everyday Chic'.