I’m a huge fan of creating sensory activities for my little ones. Some may see these as “crafts” but there’s actually a larger and more important purpose. Sensory activities and DIY’s promote creativity, imagination, motor skills, and awareness through play.
I also love catering our crafts and sensory activities to my kids’ current interests. Like all little boys, Brooks’ has his share of obsessions. Some days it will be non-stop superheroes. Other days it’s all about the legos. Recently, he’s been interested in shows and books about astronauts and space. So, of course, we had to make our own galaxy!
Fortunately, most of these supplies are probably already in your home or craft closet. Brooksie loved playing around with all the glitter and paint to create his own colorful galaxy. It’s now a great decoration to put on his bedroom shelf!
- Various colors of acrylic paint (stick to blues, purples, pinks)
- Glass jar with lid
- Cotton balls or pads
- Various colors of glitter
- Open glass bottle and fill the bottom with a layer of cotton pads.
- Fill half of the bottle with water on top of the cotton pads. Follow with 2 squirts of the same color paint and glitter.
- Continue making the layers of cotton pads. Following with 2 squirts of a different colored paint and glitter.
- Keep making layers until it is filled 2-3 inches from the top. Shake, shake, shake and see your colorful galaxy creation!
For more sensory ideas for your little ones, check out these links:
Actress, model, active humanitarian, & Mom! Author of 'Everyday Chic'.