Pregnancy can sure make a girl feel conflicted. As happy as you are to be having a baby, your growing and expanding body can make you feel uncomfortable and not your best. It can be hard out there in fashion land for expecting Mamas-to-be! From morning sickness to pure exhaustion it can be difficult to feel beautiful.
I employ the “fake it till you make it” mantra if I’m feeling a little green or extra tired. Wearing something I feel good in definitely helps my state of mind. Maternity fashion has evolved over the years to appease the pickiest of fashionistas. Pregnancy is not an excuse to live in your jammies. Don’t get me wrong; comfort is absolutely key for dressing when you are pregnant. I think the sweet spot is finding comfortable fashion forward pieces that you feel great in. I love mixing and matching regular clothes with maternity pieces.
Don’t let maternity dressing stress you out. This should be a joyful time of your life. You have better things to think about like baby names! Check out my 5 top rules to looking good while pregnant.
1. Do not immediately reach for maternity clothes. Go one size bigger than you normally wear. Especially in your first trimester, don’t jump the gun! You can find great affordable pieces that you can enjoy post pregnancy.
2. Use a belly belt/band to extend the wearing time of your regular pants
3. Build your “go-to” core pregnancy wardrobe: a maxi skirt, leggings and tops that you can layer with jean jackets, boyfriend jackets, cardigans, and sweaters.
4. Don’t be afraid of wearing fitted clothing. Being pregnant doesn’t mean you have to hide your shape. Embrace your curves and accentuate you assets. Wearing too baggy of clothing can just make you look bigger.
5. Be creative with clothing you have. I love taking a button up shirt, undoing the bottom couple buttons and tying it into a cute little knot.
Actress, model, active humanitarian, & Mom! Author of 'Everyday Chic'.