Happy Friday Everyone! Today is part three of our healthy summer dinner series over at Glamour.com. Today I’m showing you one of my favorite new recipes - a unique and healthy upgrade on pizza. Believe it or not, the crust made out of cauliflower! Gluten Free and low carb friends, rejoice!! It may sound a bit strange, but I promise you this recipe is completely delicious and relatively easy to make. Brooks loved it too, making it a kid friendly favorite at my house.
Fresh Basil & Mozzarella Pizza with Cauliflower Crust
This is a perfect dish for vegetarians and the gluten free sect. Thank you, Stephanie Esparza for telling me about this magic approach to pizza crust.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese mix
- 2 Teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup rough chopped parsley
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 large ball fresh mozzarella
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Chop cauliflower into medium size pieces and place half into food processor. Pulse until cauliflower is about the size of rice. Set aside and pulse remaining half.
- Steam cauliflower for 5 minutes and strain with fine mesh strainer.
- Place all the cauliflower onto a piece of cheesecloth or clean dishtowel. (*This is key to the entire recipe. Very important to follow) Twist up the towel or cheesecloth and squeeze out all excess moisture.
- In a large bowl combine the cauliflower, shredded cheese mix, parsley, garlic and salt and pepper. If the mixture is not sticking together then add a beaten egg slowly.
- Take your “pizza crust” mixture and press it onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet into the desired shape of your pizza crust. Keep crust about 1/3” thick.
- Bake crust for approximately 30 minutes. Crust should be pretty firm and golden brown when ready.
- Now add the tomato sauce, sliced fresh mozzarella and chopped basil or any of your favorite toppings.
Actress, model, active humanitarian, & Mom! Author of 'Everyday Chic'.