#Supermodel Secrets: Healthy Comfort Food
I’m a Southern girl who was raised on biscuits and gravy and all the fixins. Believe me that I LOVE fried chicken with every fiber of my being. I could eat that once a week if I could. I’m not saying that in embracing a healthy lifestyle that you can’t have your favorite comfort food treats now and again. What I am saying is that is absolutely possible to be able to have some of your favorite comfort food flavors without the unhealthy aspects. Yes, it takes being creative, but for me it is absolutely worth it! Who wouldn’t love the opportunity to enjoy more comfort food delciousness without paying the unhealthy food price?
Today I have quite the recipe for you!! You are absolutely going to fall in love with this Un-fried chicken from one of my favorite healthy chefs, Gavan Murphy. They don’t call him the Healthy Irishman for nothing!! He totally gets the concept of great tasting, fresh, healthy food. Long gone are the days of “eating healthy” meaning you are consuming a piece of overcooked and unseasoned chicken breast with a side of over steamed vegetables. If you are a fan of fried chicken, I promise this recipe will not disappoint.
- 1 whole organic chicken portioned (2 breasts, 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 wings)2 cups bread crumbs (I used Ener-G Gluten Free bread crumbs)
- 3 egg whites – whisked for 1 minute to lighten
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 420°F.
- Arrange all the ingredients in a row in the following order: the chicken pieces, whisked whites with S&P and paprika added, breadcrumbs.
- Begin by dipping the chicken pieces in the egg holding the chicken over the bowl for a few seconds after wards to let excess egg fall off and then coat in the breadcrumbs coating all sides. Pat the crumbs onto the pieces with clean hands to make sure it sticks. Lay on a foiled oven tray. This assembly line is a great time to get the kids involved!
- Once all the pieces are crumbed spray liberally on all sides with the olive oil spray.
- Bake for approximately 20 -25 minutes approximately. Until internal temp of the chicken is 165°F and the crumbs are browned, crispy and ‘fried’ looking. That’s all there is to it!
I know how much works goes into frying chicken, so I think you will agree the ease of this recipe along with the health factor makes this dish quite the winner, winner, chicken dinner!! What are some of your favorite healthy takes on comfort food cooking? Tell me EVERYTHING!!!!