Fourth Of July DIY: Candy Crackers + Wands
Happy 4th of July! I hope everyone is having a fun and safe holiday with family and friends.
This year, to prepare for the festivities, we made these adorable DIY candy crackers. Fill them with lollipops, necklaces, and other patriotic treats to entertain your little ones with. Scarlett and Brooks loved the idea of a surprise in every cracker!
Make them for your little ones or pass them out at your get-togethers tonight. They make a great party favor!
Here’s the step-by-step to make your own candy crackers:
Materials & Tools:
- Card stock weight paper in red, white & blue
- Glitter paper in red, silver & blue
- White tissue paper
- Glue Stick
- Hot glue gun
- White string
- Double-stick tape
- Star paper punch
- Paper towel tube (optional)
- Scallop edge scissors (optional)
- Circle paper punch
- Bone folder or dull butter knife
1. Choose your base colors for your rocket and cut rectangles (5 1⁄2” by 4 for small rocket, 5 1⁄2” by 5 1⁄2” for medium, & 5 1⁄2” by 6 for big)
2. Out of other paper, cut various decorations; thin strips, stars, simple paper punch-outs. I like to cut a variety of options to play around with and use to make fun patterns and designs. Arrange the various shapes on the rectangles making fun patterns. The 5 1⁄2” edge is the top and bottom of the rocket. TIP: Leave 1⁄4-inch edge blank as it is easier to tape together into the tube shape!
3. Use glue stick to attach. Be sure to secure by rubbing with your bone folder (or dull butter knife) to make sure they are well attached.
4. Cut an 8’ x 5 1⁄2” strip of white tissue paper and fold in half to make a 4”x5 1⁄2” rectangle.
5. Place a strip of double-stick tape at the bottom of your rocket and adhere folded side of tissue paper. Secure with bone folder.
6. Gently roll into a tube shape. I like to do this around another paper tube to ease into shape and to not get creases.
7. Add strip of double stick tape to the inside edge (opposite edge that you left 1⁄4 inch blank and roll paper around to form tube, pressing to secure to the tape.
8. Cut out cone template in color of choice.
9. Carefully roll into cone and secure with hot glue.
10. Hot glue cone to top of rocket. Fill with candy and tie off with white string at bottom.
11. Share with the little firecrackers in your life letting them rip the bottom off for the candy surprise!
For an extra DIY, celebrate with these easy & patriotic wands:
Materials & Tools:
- Various card stock weight papers in red, white, & blue
- Glue stick
- 1⁄4 inch dowels
- Colored wax paper
- Red spray paint
- Hot glue gun & glue sticks
- X-acto knife and/or scissors
1. Cut dowels into approximately 12-14 inches in lengthSpray paint red & set aside to dry.
2. Cut out stars in a variety of colors and sizes.
3. Choose fun star combos and glue together with glue stick.
4. Cut long streamer from the colored wax paper, you want them long so they'll be fun to wave about.
5. With hot glue gun adhere star to painted dowel.
6. Adhere streamers to the back also with hot glue gun.Wave about in the sky to make your own fireworks!