When we got engaged, Scott and I knew we wanted to start a family right away. I always wanted to be a mommy someday, and I was finally at a point in my life where I couldn’t see a reason to wait any longer! But I also knew that getting pregnant doesn’t always happen overnight… And then I heard that for women over 35 it takes an average of 12 to 24 months to conceive!!! That number was a little scary to say the least, but I decided to be proactive and make this baby happen ASAP! I listened to what my doctor had to say of course, but I also tried some slightly less conventional things like…
• Taking a baby aspirin with a glass of whole milk to increase fertility. It might sound crazy, but my sister-in-law swears by it!
• Lying with my legs up in the air for 15 minutes after trying to conceive. Let gravity work its magic—it makes sense, right ladies?!
• Acupuncture targeted at increasing fertility. I go to Dr. Jing, who is amazing.
• And last but not least, drinking Lori Bregman’s fertility smoothie everyday!
I’m not as sure about the first couple of things on that list, but I know this recipe had something to do with the wonderful honeymoon baby we were blessed with. Plus, it’s good for you even if you’re not trying to get pregnant. I’m still drinking it minus the maca root, royal jelly and bee pollen. Drink up, mamas!
Lori Bregman’s Fertility Smoothie
Ingredients (links are to Lori’s favorite products):
• frozen mixed organic berries
• almond or rice milk
• protein powder (something natural and clean, without a lot of additives or soy)
• 2 shots of wheatgrass (I use a frozen one by Evergreen, but you can use powder or fresh shots instead)
• maca root powder
• acai berry
• mixed powered greens
• royal jelly (*Do not use if you have a bee allergy)
• bee pollen (*Do not use if you have a bee allergy)
• liquid omegas
Read dose/serving information on back of each product. Mix everything together in a blender. Use more or less milk to achieve a desired consistency.
What it all Does:
• Powdered Greens, berries and acai: Feed and promote healthy cell growth and help nourish the blood.
• Wheat grass: Lowers FSH levels, nourishes cells, helps restore hormone balance, and helps alkaline your PH levels, which makes it better for sperm to live in.
• Maca root: Nourishes the entire endocrine system, enhances fertility and brings hormones into balance. Also increases sex drive, vitality and gives you tons of energy.
• Royal jelly: Balances hormones, supports the endocrine system, helps raise estrogen levels in women, and helps increase sperm quality and testosterone levels in men.
• Bee pollen: Contains high levels of vitamins, acts as a natural aphrodisiac, nourishes the ovaries, increases fertility, regulates the menstrual cycle and helps produce healthy eggs in women, and increases sperm count in men.
• Protein powder: Repairs and builds healthy tissues.
• Liquid omegas: Helps stabilize your moods, lowers inflammation in the body, increases blood flow to the uterus, regulates the menstrual cycle, ovulation, and cervical mucus in women, and increases sperm mobility in men.
What tricks have you heard for trying to get pregnant?
Actress, model, active humanitarian, & Mom! Author of 'Everyday Chic'.