If you couldn’t tell by now, I love crafting with my kids. I don’t just see these as fun projects though. I also see them as an opportunity for my little ones to learn through play and build their imagination.
Brooks’ absolutely loves playing make-believe especially when it comes to him morphing into a superhero and flying around the house. He also loves putting on a show—so providing him with his own puppet cast members seemed only right!
Since we are still on the springtime theme, I decided to sew up some of these cute little felt bunnies, frogs, and flowers. If you know basic sewing, that’s basically all it takes. If you don’t, it’s a great project to learn on!
These puppets can also be used to decorate gift baskets, cakes, cupcakes, and make a great party favor.
BTW--make sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post to print out the shape patterns for easy construction!
- Craft felt in various colors (I used grey, pink, green, hot pink, red, black, and white)
- Embroidery thread in various colors (I used pink and orange)
- Cute colorful straws
- Hot glue
- Large needle
- Sew the two parts of each friend together with embroidery thread around the exterior leaving a finger-sized opening at the bottom. I used light pink thread for the bunny and caterpillar and bright orange for the flower.
- Using hot glue, add the additional details of eyes, legs, etc.
- Insert on fun straw, pencil, or finger of choice.
If you’re looking for more activities to help boost your child’s imagination, check out these links:
Actress, model, active humanitarian, & Mom! Author of 'Everyday Chic'.