Christmas is almost here! We’ve already hung up our stockings awaiting the arrival of Santa himself. This year, I decided that since stockings are something that hang on display, I wanted to make them as personalized as possible. Plus it’s fun for your little ones to be able to pick what they want on it—whatever it may be!
Like most DIYs, it’s all about bringing your own creativity. This craft requires little sewing and leaves more time for decoration!
Felt DIY Stocking
- Various colors of felt, I used white for the base. If this is your choice, you will need more of white felt and how much is dependent on how many stockings to be made
- Jingle bells
- Hot Glue
- Sewing machine and thread
- Pattern, I drew mine on craft paper but there are a lot you can download and print
- Iron on letter decals
- Cut out two of the stocking pattern (either hand drawn or downloaded) in your color of choice
- Sew together close to the edge, you can trim if necessary after sewing
- Decide on design, I did the following
- Christmas Trees
- Polka Dots
- Mistle Toe
- Zig-Zag like stripes with dots
- Cut out a lot of the shapes in the various colors, I kept it to 4 colors per stocking with 5 colors optional to add both variation and consistency
- Adhere with hot glue to the stockings in an appealing pattern, I laid them all out and played around before committing to glueing
- Cut a band of felt about 4 inches and long enough to go around the opening of the stocking, sew edges together to make a band
- Attach to opening of stocking with hot glue, I folded the top edge, ironed and glued, to give it a more finished look
- Cut a loop of the ribbon and glue to the corner of the opening
- Iron on the names of who the stockings are for with the adhesive letters
- You know have your own, original and handmade stocking ready to be filled with gifts (or coal perhaps!).
Here are some great sites to find fun Christmas patterns for your stockings:
Craftsy | 8 Christmas Stocking Patterns To Sew // Martha Stewart | Christmas Templates // DIY Network | 22 Ways To Make Christmas Stockings (With Downloadable Patterns) // Felt // Jingle bells // Hot glue // Sewing kit // Iron on letters // Ribbon
Actress, model, active humanitarian, & Mom! Author of 'Everyday Chic'.