I’ll be honest—I never truly took the time to look at what ingredients were in my beauty products until I became pregnant for the first time. Since your skin is an organ and soaks up whatever you apply on it, it’s important to stick to non-toxic ingredients when you are pregnant.
Since my career involves going to events and red carpets, I couldn’t take a beauty time-out when I became pregnant. If anything, I became an expert at what non-toxic and organic beauty products actually work.
I first started my research on what ingredients to avoid. Most experts agree you should steer clear of retinols, hydroxyl acids, peptides, and synthetic fragrances and colors. But I even went as far to ditch all my toxic nail polishes and fragrances. I know—a little extreme, right? Well, luckily there are great non-toxic options out there that take their place. Here are some of my favorites to stock up on:
1. Foundation:W3LL People Narcissist Foundation Stick
2. Blush: Tata Harper Volumizing Lip & Cheek Tint
3. Bronzer:Vapour Beauty Solar Translucent Bronzer
4. Highlighter:RMS Beauty Living Luminizer
6. Mascara:Ilia Beauty Mascara
7. Nail Polish:Chrome Girl Polish (color pictured: No Tan Lines)
9. Cleanser:Indie Lee Brightening Cleanser
10. Moisturizer:Weleda Skin Food
11. Eye Cream:Skin Owl Eye +
12. Body Lotion:Earth Tu Face Coconut Body Butter
For more information on what ingredients to avoid when pregnant, visit the Environmental Working Group’s website (www.ewg.com/skindeep) for recommendations, information, and safety guidelines for skin-care and cosmetics. You can even punch in your current products and see how they rate on the safety scale. Try it—it’s fun and informative!
Actress, model, active humanitarian, & Mom! Author of 'Everyday Chic'.