Baby Talk: My Breastfeeding Must-Haves
Yep, I’m talking breastfeeding again. There’s a lot to learn when you’re a new mama! My amazing lactation consultant Linda Hanna answered most of my bigger breastfeeding questions, but I also had a few helpful products and treatments that I discovered along the way. There were six things in particular that helped me get through the trials and tribulations of breastfeeding Brooks, and since I figured that I couldn’t possibly be the only woman out there with questions, I wanted to share my breastfeeding must-haves with all of you.
1. Milkmakers Cookies. Milkmakers cookies are just what they sound like—cookies that boost your milk supply. They contain oats, brewer’s yeast and flax seed (three natural ingredients that increase lactation), and they’re pretty darn tasty too. I definitely didn’t mind having an excuse to eat cookies!
2. Acupuncture. I swear by acupuncture. Acupuncture helped me through so many aspects of my pregnancy from increasing fertility when I was trying to get pregnant to alleviating pain in my final trimester. When I was breastfeeding Brooks, I was surprised to learn that acupuncture can also be used to treat low milk supply and mastitis.
3. Traditional Medicinals Mother’s Milk Tea. This sweet and spicy tea uses natural herbs to promote healthy lactation and increase milk supply. I’m big on natural remedies like this one.
4. Motherlove More Milk Plus. These herbal lactation pills are perfect for the on-the-go mama because all you have to do is a pop a capsule. On days when I skipped my tea or my cookies, I still remembered to take one of these.
5. Hot and cold packs. Hot packs help to bring the milk down and cold packs ease pain and discomfort. Brooks was born with a tooth so I really needed these!
But no matter what products you use, keep in mind that breastfeeding is emotionally and physically challenging for all mothers out there. If you can do it, go for it, but if you can't, don’t beat yourself up!
Did you breastfeed your little one?
I’d love to hear what your own experience was like!