Freshly Picked Berry Galettes
During the summer, we spend a majority of our time in the Hamptons. It's such a relief to take a break and head out of the city for a bit! This week, my best friend, Michelle, from college flew out to visit us for a few days. Brooks and Scarlett absolutely adore her little ones--so it's always easy to entertain them.
For a fun activity, we decided to take them berry picking at Seven Ponds Orchard in Water Mill, NY. If you're in the area you must check it out.
Not only do they have seasonal "pick-your-own" fruit and vegetables but also offer plenty of activities for little ones. The kids were in heaven!
Since summer is berry season, we had to get our hands on some fresh raspberries and blackberries. They are so juicy right now--but even juicier straight off the vine.
Brooksie loves to help in the kitchen so he instantly wanted to create something with his pickings. And, of course it was a dessert! We decided to bake a fresh galette with our juicy and sweet berries from a recipe we found in Bon Appétit. They are so, so, so delicious! I'm pretty sure we each had seconds but who's counting? These berries are worth it.
Get the recipe here:
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 lb. fresh blackberries and raspberries (strawberries and blueberries will also do!)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. honey
1. Preheat oven to 425 F
2. Cut pastry into six 4-inch squares and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Prick all over with fork.
3. Top with berries, leaving a 1/2 inch border. Sprinkle in sugar
4. Bake the galettes, rotating pan halfway through until edges of pastry are puffed and golden brown for 20-30 minutes
5. Once baked, drizzle with honey and sprinkle with salt just before serving
Here are some more pics of our fun day at the berry farm: