Spring rolls are the perfect meal to get you through the day especially on a hot summer's day. I like to fill mine with vegetables, mint and sautéed shrimp to create a healthy combo for either lunch or dinner. My kids love them so much and I hope you will too!
I got this recipe from Watch What U Eat and I've been making it for my kids for the past few summers. Best of all, it's gluten free and extremely healthy!
- 10-12 large shrimps deveined
- 1 cucumber julienned (3-4" long)
- 2-3 small carrots julienned (3-4" long)
- 3 oz buckwheat noodles
- leaves from 1 small head iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup coriander (springs)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 10 rice paper wraps
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (plain)
- 1-2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chili garlic paste
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 cup water
- Heat oil in a medium skillet on medium heat. Add shrimp, 1 tsp soy sauce and salt if necessary. Sauté the shrimps for about 2-3 min or until well done. Let it cool for about 5 min.
- Meanwhile cook noodles according to the package instructions. Once cooked, drain and rinse with cold water to avoid further cooking.
- Combine all ingredients listed under 'DIPPING' into a small sauce pan. Cook the mixture on medium heat for about 3-5 min or until corn starch is cooked.
- Cut cooked shrimp into half lengthwise.
- Take very warm water in a large skillet or large plate. Dip rice paper wrap in the water for 10-15 sec and then spread it carefully on a slightly wet cutting board.
- Now put lettuce, some noodles, 2-3 carrot juliennes, 2-3 cucumber juliennes, some cilantro leaves, 3-4 mint leaves on one side of the wet wrap. Also layer 2-3 shrimp halves ahead of veggies leaving some gap in between. Gently fold the rice paper wrap from noodle and veggie side once. Then tuck in the side edges of the wrap and continue to fold over the shrimp and roll until seam is sealed. Repeat this step for each roll.
- Enjoy these fresh healthy spring rolls with prepared peanut butter dipping.
Shop this recipe:
Let me know if you give these spring rolls a try! I'd love to see how you make them!