How To Get Back On Track: Mind, Body + Soul
The new year is a time to reboot your mind body and soul and sometimes it takes a few tries to get back on the right track. Trust me, we've all been there. As a mom of three, I do my best to shape up when the new year comes around to be a better mother, wife and friend. This all starts by taking care of yourself first.
I just got back from Cabo today, so I'm starting a few days late but hey... better late than never. In order to start the year off with a clean slate there are three aspects that I focus on to get back on track.
First up: Clear Your Mind
Going into a new year with a clear mind is pivotal for success. You can't start fresh if you're still thinking about the clutter in your life. If there's something that you can't fix in the present, let go of it. Whether it's a toxic relationship or that jacket you've had in your closet that you haven't worn in the past year, get rid of it. Use these decluttering tips to recharge your mind:
- Light a candle and shut off all the electronics in your house.
- Use breathing exercises to calm release toxins and negative energy.
- Get an essential oils diffuser to set the mood for aromatherapy and reduce stress and anxiety.
- Try to journal daily or even weekly to write down your hopes and dreams. Whether it's in a paper format or digitally, it's always good to get your thoughts out there.
- Keep a gratitude log. Spend 5 minutes in the morning or in the evening to think about what you're grateful for and count your blessings. Instead of "having to take the kids to school" you get to take them to school!
- Clean out your refrigerator, pantry and closet! I always feel so much clearer when I get rid of items that I'm no longer using or needing.
Next: Feed Your Body
The holidays take a toll on our bodies. We're eating more than we're used to and drinking more than we should. It's important to take a moment to detox your body and nourish it with the nutrients it needs. Follow my tricks to getting your body back into shape.
- Wake up and go to bed an hour earlier than you normally do.
- Eat on a schedule. Make sure you eat 3 big meals and 2 small meals a day.
- Drink TONS of water! I like to start my morning with 8oz. of water, half a lemon, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Then throughout the day I drink tons water with lemon.
- Cut out carbs and dairy. This doesn't need to be forever. But give your body clean and organic foods. Eat lots and lots of protein and fiber for a week straight and your body will thank you.
- Start working out again. Just get your body moving! You can go walk to the local Starbucks or take your kiddos out for a stroll down the street. There's plenty of ways you can workout in your home and without a gym.
Lastly: Reboot Your Soul
I don't care how old you are or what stage of your life you're in... sometimes you just to take a moment to look back on your growth of the previous year. Reflection gives us room to grow and better ourselves in the new year. When you're doing these reflections, bring out a journal and write down the answers to the following questions:
- What was one of my favorite accomplishments this year?
- What did I do that I thought I wouldn't be able to strive through?
- What was the pit of your year and what was the peak?
- What advice would I offer someone else off of what I learned this year?
- If I could describe 2017 in three words, what would they be?
- What is something that I could have improved on last year?
These six questions will help you reflect upon your year and do better and accomplish more in 2018. When you think about the downfalls in your year, it only leaves improvement for this year.
shop PRODUCTS THAT WILL HELP CLEAR YOUR MIND, BODY & SOUL:
I hope you feel motivated to take this year by the horns because Lord knows, that's my plan! If you have any detoxing suggestions for your mind, body and soul, leave them in the comments below! I want to know how you guys reboot for the New Year!