DIY Almond Holiday Gifts
The holidays can be extremely stressful. The parties, the hosting, and most of all: the gift giving. This is especially tough when it comes to deciding what to bring for hostess gifts. Sure, you could bring a bottle of wine or a vase of flowers but that’s old and done. There are ways to make a handmade and thoughtful gift—without the stress.
I love sweets and the holidays bring them in like no other. Instead of munching on high-sugar and artificial options, make and gift spiced almonds. They are a smarter option and can be made either sweet or savory.
Decorate jars or gift bags filled with these yummy almonds ahead of time to bring as a last minute hostess gift.
Cinnamon + Coconut Sugar Almonds
- 1 egg white (or 2 tablespoons liquid egg whites), beaten until frothy
- ½ ounce coconut sugar
- ½ ounce cinnamon
- 1 pound almonds
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray
- In a bowl, whisk together egg white and spices. Add the almonds to the bowl and stir to coat the almonds completely
- Spread almonds in a single layer on the cookie sheet and roast for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and stir almonds to keep them from sticking. Return to oven and roast another 10 minutes
- Remove cookie sheet to a cooling rack and stir again; allow almonds to cool completely
- Fill Mason jars or gift bags with almonds and decorate as desired
Rosemary + Paprika Almonds
This recipe is identical to cinnamon + coconut almonds but calls for different dry ingredients, ½ ounce dried rosemary leaves and ½ ounce paprika. This recipe is the perfect mix of savory and spicy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 6 cups whole almonds
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons Pink Himalayan salt
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 300°degrees
- Add oil to a large sauté pan and heat on high. Add almonds to pan, toast for one minute and stir often
- Reduce heat to low and continue to stir
- Add honey and spices, salt, and sesame seeds and stir to coat evenly
- Spread almonds out evenly on a large greased sheet tray and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes and until honey is dry. Allow almonds to cool before serving