It takes a lot to really scare this mama. I can do horror movies and haunted houses with the best of ‘em, but empty calories on the other hand… now that’s frightening! Especially around Halloween time—I do keep sweets around the house, and it’s all too easy to overindulge. Luckily I’ve come up with a list of 6 healthy eating guidelines for keeping the candy cravings under control. Check them out and tell me what you think!
1. Reach for Red Vines Licorice, Lemonheads, Peeps Pumpkins, or Jolly Ranchers for a fat-free and relatively low-calorie indulgence.
2. If you’re craving chocolate, 3 Musketeers bars, York Peppermint Patties, and Snickers are slightly better nutritional choices than Butterfingers.
3. Set a limit and stick to it. At 40-100 calories per fun-sized treat, two pieces a day should be plenty.
4. Combine your M&Ms with other healthier ingredients like raw almonds and coconut shreds to make a trail mix.
5. Wait until the last minute to purchase your trick-or-treater stash. Less time for the candy to tempt your favorite ghouls and goblins.
6. Never stock your house with your favorite type of candy. (You know who’ll eat most of it!)
Are you going to follow my Halloween candy rules?
I’ve been pretty darn good about sticking to them so far!
Photo: Mama Pop