Top 5: My Morning Essentials
Whether you’re a busy working momma or a busy working model, it’s important to have an easy, delicious way to get your mornings going. Here are my top five morning must-haves that help me kick-start my day:
1. My Keurig coffee maker is my ab-solute favorite kitchen appliance. This little single-serve brewer is as easy and as delicious as any coffee shop brew. You just pop in one of the K-cups, and in less than a minute you have a coffee shop-worthy cup of joe. It’s also a great option if you have a roommate (hubby or otherwise!) because this way no one ends up compromising his or her morning routine. And lord knows…no one wants to COMPROMISE, especially before noon! I keep my kitchen stocked with K-cups with every type of tea, hot chocolate and even some really tasty specialty drinks like chai lattes. No one’s leaving my coffee station unsatisfied!
2. Beware people: juicing is addictive. Honestly, I basically have a relationship with my Breville Juicer. It’s a really quick and painless way to whip up an A.M. thirst-quencher that’s yummy and packed full of the vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants and nutrients your body craves. It’s also great for little ones because raw juice doesn’t contain all of those artificial flavors and sugars found in store-bought juice. I experiment with new juice recipes all of the time and love researching what fruits and veggies will best suit my needs, whether it’s staving off a cold, trying to improve my skin or just looking for an energy boost. When I was pregnant with baby Brooks I shoved so many blueberries (full of antioxidants), kale, and oranges (tons of Folate) down my Cuisinart’s feed tube I thought I might break it! Here are two of my favorite recipes:
Grapefruit, Carrot & Ginger Juice
1 piece fresh ginger
Apple and Kale Juice
Apple (1 apple)
Kale (small bunch)
Lemon (half of lemon. do not juice rind)
GREAT JUICE ADD-ONs
3. I always start my day with tons of Fiber. Getting enough fiber each day is crucial for weight maintenance and actually helps keep your body from absorbing calories throughout the rest of your day—it’s kind of a miracle! As a new mom trying to lose the baby weight, I can’t get enough of it. I love mixing Mesa Sunrise Flakes from Natures Path and F-Factor High Fiber Skinnys with low-fat Greek yogurt and when I’m craving something crunchy or just need to mix-it-up I add Udi’s really yummy gluten free granola. Add some fruit and you’re all set! I also love GG Crispbread topped with egg whites and a spoonful of salsa.
4. Even though breakfast isn’t typically a time for sweets, I always crave a little sugar in my coffee or sprinkled on my cereal. But as we’ve all heard a million times, sugar is a no-no and so are artificial sweeteners like Equal or Splenda. If you’re too stubborn (like me) to give up your morning sweet tooth I recommend trying an all-natural sugar substitute; I use Xyla and Truvia. These are also great because they can be used exactly like you would sugar—imagine the calories you can cut out of cookies!
5. I’m a girl who loves her smoothies, and there’s nothing worse than dealing with a really loud, clunky blender that seems to be doing everything BUT blend! That’s why I recently splurged on a blender from Blendtec and I have to tell you, I’ll never regret it! It’s super quiet, so I don’t wake baby Brooks or the hubby if I’m up before them and I know I’ll have it for years because it doubles as a food processor. Here’s one of my go-to smoothie recipes:
Tracy Anderson Wellness Shake (Vanilla is my favorite flavor)
2 scoops of Shake mix
1 cup of Ice
1 cup of water (more or less depending on desired consistency)
4 pitted dates
1 spoon ground flax seeds
What are your morning must-haves? Let me know in the comments below!