5 Questions: For a Beauty Expert
I’ve learned my fair share of beauty tips and tricks throughout my years in the industry, but there are still a few people that I can always count on to teach me something new… My girlfriend Jessica Berg is one of those people! We started modeling together about 18 years ago, and lived in Paris, Milan and London together. She went on to become a world-class hair & makeup artist in Australia, but even now that we’re halfway across the world from each other I always know I can call her up to ask what the latest makeup trends and greatest beauty products are. (I even entrusted her with the bridesmaids’ makeup at my wedding!) That’s why I’ve asked Jessica to share a little bit of her knowledge with you! Here are my 5 Questions for a beauty expert…
1. What beauty products can you not live without?
• Lucas’ Paw Paw Ointment. It’s fermented paw paw, which is a fruit, and it’s very popular in Australia. It’s great for dry, cracked lips and I also use it on my kids for cuts, insect bites and grazes. It’s the bomb!
• Absolutely can’t live without my YSL Touche Eclat #2 concealer. I keep about 4 or 5 in my kit in different shades as well!
• Love my Maybelline mascaras, in particular the Colossal Volum’ Express and The Falsies Volum’ Express.
• Love, love, love my Mayerling Skin Renewal System Eye Cream. It’s the best eye cream on the planet!
2. What are the most common mistakes women make when it comes to their beauty routine?
Wearing too much of everything, especially as you get older, and not matching your foundation to the rest of your body. Less is more—it’s an old cliché, but so true.
3. What Aussie beauty tip do you think we could learn from in the U.S.?
As far as beauty goes, Aussie chicks are very natural, earthly beauties who love the sun, but are super aware of its dangers. Even kids here are not allowed outside unless they “slip, slop, slap,” which mean slip on a shirt, slop on the sunscreen, and slap on a hat. Women like their tans, but they are extremely careful—you have to be in this climate.
4. If you were stranded on a desert island and could only take three products with you, what would they be?
My Mayerling Sunscreen SPF 30+ (it’s the best sunscreen for the face I have ever come across and it’s perfect under makeup too), a pack of Colgate Wisp disposable toothbrushes with built-in paste, and mascara (love my mascara).
5. What’s your biggest industry secret you can share with us?
If you want to get rid of a nasty pimple quick, take a clove of garlic, cut it in half, and rub it on your pimple—it works, I swear!
Some of Jessica’s gorgeous work:
Do you have any other beauty questions for Jessica?