As you may already know, I love a braided hairstyle! They’re surprisingly versatile, look instantly glamorous and work well with all hair types. I love braids so much, I’ll even rock ‘em on the red carpet. Below are a few of my favorite looks over the years.
But while I am certainly a braid devotee, I also recognize that they can be a little intimidating to replicate. Which is why I sat down with hair stylist extraordinaire, Sarah Potempa, to learn her tips and tricks to the art of braiding…
I first met Sarah during a shoot a few months back. Not only has this woman got some serious styling talent, she also has an awesome line of products. My favorite is the Sarah Potempa beach waver. I love my beach waves so much that I even created a little video on them a few months back and this machine makes the look even easier to achieve.
But enough about beach waves…We’re here to talk about braids, people! Below are two styles that I absolutely love—the 2 strand braid and the fishtail braid crown. They look ridiculously fancy but they’re surprisingly easy. Follow the steps below and let me know how they come out!!
How To Do a Two Strand Braid
- Start with a 1-inch section of hair separate it into two pieces
- Take the front section and crisscross it underneath the back section
- Add hair to the front section as you go down
- Take two bobby pins and crisscross them and repeat the same braid on the other side.
- Leave the rest of your hair down or pull back into a low bun for a chic look!
How To Do a Fishtail Braid Crown
- Bring all the hair to one side
- Part hair into two
- Pull a skinny strand from the outside of the left section
- Cross the strand over to the inside of the right section
- Pull a skinny strand from the outside of the right section
- Cross the strand over to the inside of the left section
- Repeat this crisscross pattern, pulling strands from opposite sides
- Tie the braid
- Pull pieces outward to create a fuller braid
- Wrap the braid around the top of your head and pin in place